Competition has officially kicked off today at the 2026 Gold Coast Open, with Burleigh Heads once again taking centre stage as the event returns at an upgraded World Surf League (WSL) Qualifying Series (QS) 4000 level.
Running from February 18 to 22 at Burleigh’s iconic right-hand point, the Gold Coast Open is co-sanctioned by the Australia/Oceania and Asia QS regions. With qualification pressure building across both regions, the event is set to play a major role in determining the final standings of who will qualify for the 2026 Challenger Series (CS) season.
More than 175 surfers from across the two regions have arrived on the Gold Coast for the five-day contest, with the field featuring a stacked mix of current and former Championship Tour (CT) surfers, Olympians, top CS competitors and multiple WSL World Junior Champions.
Among the headline names donning the jersey this week are current CT surfers Joel Vaughan (AUS), Isabella Nichols (AUS) and Rio Waida (INA), all set to line up at Burleigh as the event launches into its opening rounds.
For Nichols, the Gold Coast Open marks a return to a wave and a venue that has delivered on every appearance. The former event winner (2017) is one of seven WSL World Junior Champions in the draw, which also includes newly crowned 2025 champions Dane Henry (AUS) and Isla Huppatz (AUS).
Originally from the Sunshine Coast and now a Gold Coast resident, Nichols has made the finals series every time they have competed at Burleigh. That includes last year’s Bonsoy Gold Coast Pro CT event in 2025, where Burleigh once again showcased why it remains one of the sport’s most recognisable point breaks.
“I’m stoked to see the Gold Coast Open at Burleigh again and really excited to compete there,” said Nichols. “It was so much fun surfing it during the Bonsoy Gold Coast Pro last year and it’s one of the true heritage waves of the world, why wouldn’t you want to surf a heat at Burleigh? For me, it’s about shaking off the cobwebs and getting back into the swing of competing. I’m also really looking forward to the level of competition from the other girls. It’s going to be a great week.”
Waida also arrives with plenty of attention on their competitive return. The 26-year-old has not competed since the 2025 CT regular-season finale in Tahiti, and the last time Waida appeared on the QS, at the 2023 Nias Pro, they claimed victory.
After a strong start to the 2025 CT season that saw Waida break into the Top 5 for the first time, Waida finished the year ranked No. 20, and is now eager to build momentum heading into 2026.
“I’m really keen to compete again at Burleigh. I love competing and it’s been a little while since I last put the jersey on, so I’m looking forward to that feeling again and building momentum heading into the 2026 season,” said Waida. “It’s going to be a really high level of competition. You look at names like Liam O’Brien, Joel Vaughan, Morgan Cibilic and Jacob Wilcox, and so many more. I’m excited to compete against some of the best Aussie surfers and I definitely want to take the win here.”
Adding even more firepower to the draw is the presence of nine former CT surfers, including local Burleigh surfer Liam O’Brien (AUS). After three straight seasons on Tour, O’Brien fell off the CT in 2025, but currently sits within the qualification cutline on the CS rankings and is primed for a push back to the top level for 2026.
O’Brien’s hometown support was on full display during the 2025 Bonsoy Gold Coast Pro, where the 26-year-old posted huge scores across multiple heats. With the Gold Coast Open now underway, that same energy is expected to return as O’Brien takes to the water at their home break.
While the established names loom large, the current crop of QS contenders is ready for the challenge, with frontrunners including Kana Nakashio (JPN), Reef Heazlewood (AUS), Lucy Darragh (AUS), Kei Kobayashi (JPN), Anon Matsuoka (JPN), Bronson Meydi (INA), Charli Hately (AUS) and Lennix Smith (AUS) all set to factor into the mix.
Beyond the contest itself, organisers are positioning the Gold Coast Open as a broader celebration of surf culture across the week. Surfing Queensland CEO Luca Liussi said the event is built to bring athletes, fans and families together for more than what happens in the water.
“We’re thrilled to bring everyone together at Burleigh for what is much more than just a competition,” said Liussi. “The Gold Coast Open is shaping up as a vibrant festival of surfing, with a QS 4000 at its core, complemented by skating, brand activations and live music across the week. These are all core parts of the surfing lifestyle, and that’s what we want to celebrate, not just what happens in the water, but the culture, the community and the energy that surrounds it. It’s about creating an event where athletes, fans and families can come together and experience everything that makes surfing so special.”
Alongside the QS action, spectators can expect live music from bands including Cosmic Vice, PowderKeg and Thirst Trap, plus skate clinics and demonstrations, sunrise yoga sessions, community activities, food vendors, a beach bar and a range of interactive experiences across the five days.
The Gold Coast Open also carries a strong legacy at Burleigh, with previous winners (from its former identity as the Burleigh Pro) including iconic CT names such as Taj Burrow, Julian Wilson, Dimity Stoyle, Owen Wright, Sophie McCulloch and Mitch Crews.
The 2026 Gold Coast Open
Runs at Burleigh Heads from February 18 to 22, 2026. For more information and results, head to www.WorldSurfLeague.com or download the free WSL app.
