Angry Anderson, Professor Gordian Fulde, Georgie Gardner, Natalie Gruzlewski, Kellie and Matt Hayden, Brooke Nichole Lee, Steve Moneghetti, Jacinta Tynan, Peter FitzSimons and the Australian Baseball League and sign up to lose the booze! Money raised during Ocsober will support Life Education, the Australian not-for-profit organisation that is synonymous with ‘Healthy Harold’, and its preventative health programs which are taught across 3,300 schools each year. If you’re still undecided about signing up this October, here are our seven top reasons why you should lose the booze and help raise money for Aussie kids:
- Improve your health. Start getting into shape for Summer. Swap a glass of wine or beer for water instead, and use the month to kick-start a healthier, fitter you.
- Raise money for Aussie kids. Help raise $700,000 so Life Education, with the support of their iconic giraffe mascot Healthy Harold, can empower 700,000 Aussie kids through its health education programs, which teach children about the importance of good nutrition and physical activity, as well as building their resilience to peer and social pressures around smoking, alcohol and drugs.
- Set a good example for Aussie kids. Ocsober is all about saying no to alcohol for 31 days and is a great way to set a good example for children everywhere.
- Save money! Australian households spend an average of $32.35 per week on alcohol (ABS 2011).
- Lose weight and ‘Detox’ before summer. What better time to give your body some TLC than just before summer. Use this time to focus on getting fit and healthy before the summer season arrives.
- Help raise awareness around the impact of alcohol misuse in Australia. Ocsober provides everyone with a chance to raise awareness by saying no to alcohol.
- Do it for yourself. Prove to yourself that you can go for one month without alcohol, and that you can also have fun without it while raising money for Aussie kids.