Win a trip to the ultimate dive spot, the Galapagos, with Contiki
Explore the wonderful world of vibrant coral colours, plant an Eskimo kiss on a giant cod, muck around with the friendly turtles or venture into the gullies and caves that are home to an underwater chest of treasures. Discover what lies below the surface with Contiki’s (www.contiki.com) top 10 dive spots from around the world.
- Galapagos Islands Located at the confluence of three ocean currents and known as a ‘melting pot’ of marine species, the Galapagos Islands are undeniably one of the most exciting places to dive. Get up close and personal and experience wildlife at its finest, from penguins to blue foot boobies, golden rays and giant turtles to playful sea lions that often swim laps around divers.
- Koh Tao, Thailand White sandy beaches and sparkling blue waters are calling. Jump on a boat and head to one of the many snorkelling locations around the island. Explore the colourful reefs or head to the HMTS Sattakut shipwreck for something a little different; this dive site is one for everyone to enjoy.
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia Known for its natural splendour and as one of the world’s most awe-inspiring underwater playgrounds, the Great Barrier Reef is home to myriads of marine species. Say hello to the famous albino humpback whale Migaloo or swim with the friendly giant man-sized codfish.
- Cocos Island, Costa Rica Cocos Island is Costa Rica’s most well-known island destination, famous for its untamed tropical rainforest that starred in ‘Jurassic Park’; it’s also home to some incredible diving spots. Make your way through the enormous underwater arches where nature reigns with rays, sharks and yellow fin tuna schools.
- Great Blue Hole, Belize A top spot for experienced divers, the Great Blue Hole formed during the last ice age. The submarine sinkhole is 300 meters wide and a humungous 124 meters deep, filled with submerged caves and deep blue shadows that are home to giant groupers and octopus.
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico A hidden world can be found under in the coastal line of Playa del Carmen. Cenotes offer an enchanting and popular diving spot, boasting some of the greatest water clarity. If you’re a little claustrophobic, there are plenty of other diving spots close by including Manchones Reef, which contains over 400 human life-sized sculptures, designed to encourage coral growth.
- Kailua Kona, Hawaii Known as one of the most memorable diving spots in the world, Kailua Kora is the prefect location for night diving. Years ago some canny divers connected lights on the ocean bed attracting plankton. In turn, majestic rays up to 20-feet-wide and 3000-pounds graced the divers with their presence. Flick on your high-powered flashlight and be mesmerised.
- Mnemba Island, Tanzania An underwater world of bright corals, butterfly fish and massive potato grouper, this dive site is perfect for all levels. Turtles and playful dolphins are frequent visitors at the circular reef and if you’re lucky, you might even get a glimpse of the elusive whale shark. Mnemba is as beautiful on land as it is underwater.
- Middle Arch, New Zealand The 11-million-year-old islands are home to some of the most diverse sub-tropical underwater gardens on the planet. Marine wildlife such as clown nudibranches, scorpion fish, Lord Howe coralfish and anemones of every colour can be found amongst the fauna of the reef. While you’re there, check out the Blue Mao Mao Arch, said to be like diving in a marine cathedral.
- Aliwal Shoal, Umkomaas, South Africa Forming thousands of years ago, Aliwal Shaol was rated one of the best diving sites in the world by the famous Jacques Cousteau. With over 1,200 fish species including the ragged tooth shark, a shipwreck, gullies, pinnacles and caves decorated with colourful coral and plants, the Aliwal Shaol is abundant with marine wildlife, making it one of the top diving spots.
Contiki’s Adventure Challenge is giving you the chance to win a trip to the Galapagos Islands, head to contiki.com/adventurechallenge for your chance to win, the destination changes each week so be quick! Plus, don’t forget to follow along on Facebook as well for more fun prizes to be won.
After all, you only have one life, one shot, so make it count – no regrets.