Australia’s biggest entertainment line-up, a fantastic food culture and the first ever bridge swing
to launch on the country’s shores. Booming Brisbane is bursting with must-do’s. Here’s our pick of what’s hot and why you need to visit before the year is out
1. Like to be ahead of the crowd and amongst the first to try something new? You’ll be
busy keeping up with the restaurants that have opened across Brisbane City. One of the most anticipated restaurants of the year, Blackbird Bar & Grill does a mean seafood feast and prohibition-era cocktail in a glittering 1920s-inspired fit-out. Alternatively try the new LiveFire Steak Bar which boasts 180 degree views of South Bank. www.blackbirdbrisbane.com.au /www.livefiresteakbar.com.au
2. Soar through the air and experience the most exhilarating ride of your life on Australia’s first ever bridge swing. From 24-25 October, Goodwill Swing to Save will offer you the chance to free-fall then swing across the Brisbane River from the Goodwill Bridg Register at www.scasites.org.au/swing – there are only 250 seats for the taking.
3. Catch Katy Perry’s electrifying Pragmatic World Tour at the Brisbane Entertainment
Centre from 27 November – 1 December. Word on the street is the superstar has designed the stage herself so fans can get closer to her than ever before. Bag your ticket at www.ticketek.com.au/katyperry
4. Get your game face on as the Wallabies take on the All Blacks at the Four Nations Tournament Double Header on 25 October. To book , visit http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au
5. Marvel at 30 years of Japanese haute couture at the raved about “Future Beauty”exhibition launching at GOMA on 1 November until 15 February – perfect for fashion
and culture worshippers. Alternatively step back in time at the “Costumes of the Golden Age” exhibition at Museum of Brisbane from 21 November – 26 April, and discover fashion’s secret history with “Undressed: 350 Years of Underwear in Fashion” at the Queensland Museum from 12 November – 1 February. For more info, visit www.qagoma.qld.gov.au / www.museumofbrisbane.com.au / www.qm.qld.gov.au
6. Celebrate the start of summer at Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas returning with another blockbuster event featuring music by day and movies by nigh The quintessential outdoor event will take place at South Bank’s enchanting Rainforest Green by the Wheel of Brisbane until 9 November. Check it out at www.openaircinemas.com.au/brisbane
7. Get your dancing shoes on! Stereosonic, one of the biggest and best dance music festivals in the world, is back from 6-7 December with a stunning line-up including Calvin Harris and Skillrex. To book, visit www.stereosoncom.au
8. Meet the stars and creators of your favourite comic books, movies and games at Supernova, Australia’s geekiest gig, taking place at BCEC from 28 – 30 November. To book, visit wwsupanova.com.au
9. Brisbane is set to get weird and wonderful between 5 – 12 December with a fantastic new festival experience at the Powerhouse introducing an eclectic mixture of alternative comedy, cabaret, circus and mu Tickets available from
10. Enjoy a “Paddle and Prawns” experience on the Brisbane Riv This unique experience involves guiding your own illuminated kayak and taking in the shimmering lights of the cityscape on a leisurely 90-minute paddle before relaxing with a riverside meal of fresh king prawns (Friday) or a barbecue (Saturday) with famous Queensland lamingtons for dessert. Wash it all down with Australian beer and wine. Book your gourmet paddle at http://www.riverlife.com.au/experiences
Top tips thanks to Brisbane’s Airtrain – the fastest, easiest and most cost-effective way to reach Brisbane, the Gold Coast and suburbs from Brisbane Domestic and International Airports. It also takes you right to the City centre close to the Convention Centre, hotels, shops and more so you can enjoy all the action right away. Savings include new web group fares offering substantial discounts starting as low as $27 for two people travelling to and from Airport, a 10 per cent discount for all online bookings and a Kids Travel Free policy for kids aged 14 years of age and under travelling between the Airport and Brisbane City stations when accompanied by an adult. For further information, please visit www.airtrain.com.au.
Please note the G20 Leaders Summit is on in Brisbane during November 15-16. Brisbane’s Airtrain will be operating as normal, offering a quick and reliable way to and from the airport, and avoiding any disruptions to city roads and traffic flows over the weekend.
Images Courtesy of :